Sunday, January 17, 2010

Diet...er...Lifestyle Change

Okay, I'm the first person to admit I'm overweight and it's messing with my health. But I'm of the Garfield persuasion--diet is 'die' with a 't'. So everyone tells me I need to make a "lifestyle" change. Ugh.

The problem is I've never met a food I didn't like. That's saying a lot since I've lived in Europe and New York--two places known for an amazing variety of food. And while I love to eat, I'm not big on cooking. Most of my family and friends think I can't cook. Not the case. I can cook I just don't like to! LOL

However, as I rapidly approach the "big 5-0" I really need to take better care of myself. Which means pulling out skills I haven't used in years and backing away from the nuke'em frozen foods and easily slapped together sandwiches I've subsisted on for years.

I spent some time over the last month looking at different "philosophies" regarding dieting...er...lifestyle changes. I've settled on a cross between low carb and Alton Brown. *cackle* Fresh veggies, low fat meats (fish & chicken), minimal pasta and breads but plenty of fruits! I saw Alton Brown's Good Eats episode about how he lost weight. Love the fruit smoothie idea for breakfast. Can't go wrong with fruit! But while I do like sardines, I'm not too sure about his sardine and avocado toast.

So dinner tonight? Grilled skinless chicken breast, grilled asparagus, grilled cherry tomatoes and half a baked sweet potato. Seasoning? Kosher salt, pepper and, on the asparagus, lemon juice. All the grilling was in my stove top grill pan and everything cooked together. The sweet potato was nuked. I'll still get some use out of the microwave! Minimal fuss, muss and clean up. Just the way I like it. And while it did take longer to make than a sandwich, this dinner tasted a lot better too!

So what kind of food lifestyle do you live by?

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi Shayla how are you doing? You and I are of the same philosophy :) I do subscribe to Garfield's point of view and I too was impressed by Alton's dramatic weight loss and the steps he took to get there.

At my house we cook a lot and try to do it as healthy as possible. I do however like eating out and I think its the reason my weight is messed up. I also have health issues that are messing with it too.

I never could understand why it is so easy for some people to stay in shape and so hard for others (me!) to do so. I guess like everything in life, when life gives you lemons, you make lemonade and use natural low calory sweetner to do it :) Good luck with this

Shayla Kersten said...

Hiya, Rasha! Lemonade with low cal sweetner! Too funny! But the right idea. Thanks for stopping by and sharing! Good luck to you too!

I've been drinking Alton's fruit smoothie and trying to follow a lot of his lists. Everything I cook is grilled, even fresh veggies like asparagus, brocoli and green beans.

My two big eating out downfalls...sushi because of the rice in the rolls and Mexican. I can eat chicken fajitas without the rice, beans and tortillas but I can't get past the chips and salsa. Since I'm usually with people who aren't dieting...er, changing their lifestyle, I can't ask them not to bring chips.

Unknown said...

Hello Shayla, I recently found Thirty Days ... and immediately after that, Forever, but I've only just found your blog.

So, thank you for the stories (hope to see more m/m stories from you) and as for the lifestyle thing, I'm a long-term (really long-term, I'm within spitting distance of 50 .. not that I would actually spit!) vegetarian recently turned vegan. It is easier now that I'm only cooking for me.
Cheers :)

Jennifer Mathis said...

oh my are you my long lost sister? I hate cooking and I do find it funny when you say that to people they assume you can't cook. I cook well if not good but why? why would I want to. my bestie is a great cook slash baker and if I started cooking for myself then who would she cook for lol

Shayla Kersten said...

LOL Jennifer, I completely understand! My mother and sister are fabulous cooks. Why should I do it when they are so much better! Plus, at home, I'm only cooking for one. Most of the time, I don't feel like it's worth it. But I'm doing better! And I've lost some weight!