Saturday, October 8, 2011

Lions and tigers and bears...oh my!

I'm writing this from the Turpentine Creek Wildlife Refuge. I'm on the deck at their Zulu lodge with my coffee. Across the outdoor fireplace is Delilah Devlin. Behind me is Cynthia D'Alba We're supposed to be attending the Ozark Writers Conference. Instead, Delilah, Cyndi and I are playing hooky to write for the day.

What a glorious place! Besides the fact that the view is of the turning fall foliage of the Ozark Mountains, there really are lions and tigers and bears. Turpentine Creek is home to rescued exotic animals. They have a variety of big cats from lions to white Siberian tigers. I missed feeding time yesterday but Delilah took some great pictures. Check out her blog!

Check out the real lions and tigers and bears! Beautiful creatures rescued from people who thought owning a wild animal would be cool. Now they are too tame for the wild and not suitable for a zoo. Turpentine Creek offers them a home for life. Sponsors like Walmart and Tyson Foods help keep them fed but donations are always welcome. Check out their website for ways to help.

Several of the members of the Diamond State Romance authors are here this weekend. We are all so impressed with Turpentine Creek that we are exploring options on how to help them. More on that later.




For now, I'm going to work on...wait for it...a story! Work is still crazy but I'm taking today off. And the evil day job is getting much better. I hired an accountant to help. In just two weeks, she's taken on a number of things allowing me a little peace of mind. I can't wait to see where she's at in a month! I might actually get to start writing soon. On a regular basis, even!

Off to write. Love saying that. Have a great weekend!


Hugz,
Shayla

3 comments:

Becky said...

Thanks for sharing this. I am an animal lover and I will have to visit Turpentine Creek Wildlife Refuge website. Maybe I can do some kind of donation to help. I will have to see if I can take time to visit this refuge. I would love to see a white Siberian tiger in person.

Shayla Kersten said...

Hi, Becky! You have to visit here! This place is fabulous! We're still sitting in the gazebo on the deck listening to deer honk and big cats roar in the darkness. I made a video of Zeus, the white Siberian male, eating dinner. I'll post it when I get home tomorrow night.

Hamish Cope said...

This is a great view of nature in addition to the wild animals makes it a good visiting place. My son has to write an essay on wild life living in natural habitat so I'll take him to this place. The http://essaymama.org/essay-help will provide the rest of the assistance.