Saturday, November 18, 2006

Slow writing day

I'm doing NaNoWriMo again this year. No, it has nothing to do with Mork! *cackle*

NaNoWriMo stands for National Novel Writing Month. The goal is to write a 50k word novel in 30 days. Last year, by Nov 18th, I was wrapping up. Finished 50k in 19 days. This year, I haven't made it to 20k yet. That makes me woefully behind.

I started thinking about why it's so much harder to write this year and I've come to a conclusion. I didn't start writing with the intention of getting published until after NaNo last year. When I started learning about what it takes to put together a novel polished enough to get an editor to look at it, I realized I didn't know squat about writing. It didn't matter that I spent two years before writing award winning fanfiction. Fans vote on the stories they like, it doesn't matter if the character's point of view is all over the place, or passive voice is everywhere or the plot isn't tight enough.

Editors look for things I'd never heard of. So much for losing the inner editor for last year's NaNo. I didn't have one! The novel I wrote last year proves it. It languishes under the proverbial bed waiting for a rewrite.

Thanks to good friends like Delilah Devlin, Myla Jackson and Layla Chase, as well as the rest of the Roses at RosesColoredGlasses.com, I now know the difference.

So this year, I have an inner editor and getting the witch to shut up and let me write has been difficult. Now, I'm off to beat my inner editor into submission and get some more words done tonight!

Thanks for stopping by,
Shayla

No comments: