Thursday, August 12, 2010

Music for the Writer's Soul: Dean Martin

Yes, my musical taste are rather varied. *cackle* My momma loves Dean Martin. Always has. I remember his music streaming from the stereo from the time I was very young. And today, I have many of his songs in my collection.

Music can be such an inspiration for my stories. It doesn't have to be much. A mood, a phrase, a tempo...

A few weeks ago I was listening to one of my favorite songs by Dean Martin. Sway is the English version of the Spanish song ¿Quién será? written by Pablo Beltrán Ruiz. ¿Quién será? was originally written as a dance song and even if you can't dance--like me--it has you to swaying to the music. With Dino's melodious voice, he makes the lyrics about as sexy as airplay would allow in 1954.

And the rhythm sent a plot bunny running all over my brain. Gay dance club, hard bodies... You'll have to wait for more. The project is down the list of things to write but it's there.



Buy at Amazon

7 comments:

Margaret said...

I love Dean Martin, and Sway is one of my favorites. I also have fairly varied musical tastes. I was raised by big band era parents. I adore the great vocalists, Sinatra, Bennett, and Nat King Cole. I was also warped by brothers who listened to the Beatles, the Doors, and the Moody Blues. Sadly, I am a child of the 80s, so you'll find a ton of Depeche Mode, Duran Duran, The Cure, and New Order mixed in with all of the above.

Maria D. said...

I love this song - though I think that both the Dean Martin and Michael Buble' version are equally good. Can't wait to see the story inspired by this song!

Cai said...

Have to agree with Maria - Michael Buble's version is also sexy...

My iPod must believe I'm slightly schizophrenic since it has music from the 40s-today and when it's on shuffle, it can go from Dean Martin to Evanesence to AC/DC to Beethoven in one cycle! :)

I firmly belive in listening to music to set whatever scene I'm writing, and if you haven't heard David Sanborn's version of Seduction? Find it - perfect for writing a love scene. LOL

See you in Oct!

Cai

Denise Golinowski said...

I just adore SWAY. I heard it in The Wedding Date and had to have it. Now I have Buble's version on my playlist and everytime I hear it I get shivers. I can totally see your scene in the bar and can't wait to see it put into place. Great idea! Now, to find David Sanborn's Seduction. Thanks for sharing the audio of Dino. He had a wonderful voice, didn't he? I LOVE all the ol' crooners! *sigh*
Denise Golinowski

Shelley Munro said...

It does start the foot tapping, doesn't it? I like him singing That's Amore. We had a lot of this sort of music on our cruise this year because they tend to cater to the older people. Lucky I like the music. :)

Shayla Kersten said...

Hiya, Margaret! You and I were raised on similar music. LOL Except I was a child of the 60s & 70s. A lot of my music is from that era. Not so much 80s stuff.

Hi, Maria! I've heard the Micheal Buble version and he's good but Dino is my fav.

Hiya, Cai! My iPod suffers the same. LOL I'll have to check out David Sanborn. I can't wait for RomantiCon!

Hi, Denise! I'm itching to write the story but I have other stuff to finish first! Writer's ADD--I always want to go for the new and shiny!

Hiya, Shelley! I do a lot of chair dancing when I listen to Sway! *cackle* Can't stop moving!

Thank you, everyone, for stopping by!

Shayla

dino martin peters said...

Hey pallies, likes how cool to read of you bein' so inspired by our Dino...never was, never will be anyone as cool as the King of Cool...oh, to return to the days when Dino walked the earth...knows that your Dino-report is likes bein' shared with the readers of ilovedinomartin this very Dino-day!