Monday, April 25, 2011

Manic Monday: Comfort Reads

Most people think of comfort reads as a book they enjoy reading over and over again. And that definition works for me. But I also consider a comfort read as something I can spend ten or fifteen minutes eithand don't have to think too hard about where I left off.

For instance, I worked in the Little Rock office on Friday and Sister was supposed to meet me for lunch. Well, she stood me up. So I grabbed a bite to eat with my Kindle keeping me company. Because I decided to run some errands as well, I didn't plan to spend long at lunch. I hit the Chinese buffet for a quick meal.

I didn't want to start my next must read, MOONSTRUCK by Delilah Devlin and Myla Jackson. I'd never want to leave! So I pulled out an old standard and one of my favorite comfort reads, PRIDE AND PREJUDICE. The original Jane Austen one. P&P is also a book I almost know by heart. I can start reading anywhere in the book and still know what's going on. It's great for when I just want a few minutes break.

Good thing. The waitress was fascinated by my Kindle and kept reading over my shoulder. Wonder if she'd have been as interested if I'd been reading MOONSTRUCK. *cackle* Maybe...

What's some of your favorite comfort reads?

Hope you have a fabulous Monday! Isn't that an oxymoron?

Shayla

8 comments:

Kelli Scott said...

I don't really read a book over and over. I watch some movies over and over like P&P. Comfort reads - Janet Evanovich. Funny. Not too taxing on my brain. light. Sue Grafton.

Unknown said...

So for me it is Twilight at the moment. I know, its silly but those books helped to distress me at a very difficult time in my life. In the middle of that crazy storm they were my harbor and I will not forget that. Another favorit that I read over and over again (especially around Xmas) is Shiloh Walker's Her Wildest Dreams. I love that book.

Valerie Douglas aka V. J. Devereaux said...

When I was going through my divorce, struggling in a city I didn't really know, I read Nora Roberts Chesapeake Bay series. It's still my go-to set of books to read when something has me down. I have a whole collection of books in hard cover for just that purpose. Dick Francis, Chelsea Quinn Yarbro, Anne McCaffrey, all of them fill a niche when times are tough. And they'll fit into two boxes. Just in case.

N.J.Walters said...

I have a "keeper" shelf with books I'll go back to over and over. Some favorite series by Christine Feehan, Nora Roberts and Jayne Ann Krentz (to name a few) and single titles that are favs. I've read some books more than a half dozen times. When I'm down or sad I'll reach for a favorite book. :)

Harlie Williams said...

Mine is any Julie Garwood book. Especially, Mercy and Shadow Dance. I've replaced both them twice.

Harlie Williams said...

Also, A Time to Kill and The Client.

Shayla Kersten said...

I'm sorry I've neglected all the wonderful comments! This has been a hectic week. Thank you, everyone for stopping by.

Valerie, you brought a blast from the past with the mention of Chelsea Quinn Yarbro. My love of vampires started with him. Anne McCaffrey is another one of my early favorites.

Have a great weekend!
Shayla

top 5 writing services said...

My comfort read has always been Harry Potter series. You can laugh, of course, but I do like the boy wearing the glasses with a scar on the forehead. The books by J. Rowling make me feel like a child - an inquisitive child who dreams about a magic wand and the gown of invisibility:)
Sincerely,
Olivia Dail