Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Over the Hump: Oldies But Goodies Music

I'm about to admit just how old I am... And one of my guilty little secrets. The first concert I ever attended was...Sonny and Cher. Yep. In 1972, maybe 1971, my mother took me and my little sister to see Sonny and Cher. I was already addicted to the Sonny and Cher show and I loved every song Cher sang. I could do without Sonny. Even back then, I knew she was a solo act waiting to happen. *cackle* And I still love her music.

Lately, I've been pulling oldies out of my collection or buying certain songs I don't have on CD. Some of them have been Cher. One of them is her iconic Gypsies, Tramps and Thieves. For the 70s, I'm surprised the song got as much airplay. Especially on their prime time television show. Even I knew what was meant by the line, "the men would come around and lay their money down" and I was 11 or 12 years old.

For today's over the hump, an old video from the Sonny and Cher show with Cher's Gypsies, Tramps and Thieves in her best Bob Mackie style!

5 comments:

Cindy Spencer Pape said...

Great post, Shayla. I still love, "I've got you, Babe." And yeah, I'm old enough to remember the TV show, too, though I never saw them in concert.

Kelli Scott said...

I also love Sonny & Cher. Fav music - 80s.

N.J.Walters said...

I so remember the television show. As a young girl I just loved Cher's long hair.

Anonymous said...

Ok.... You may have given a hint to your age with this post, but that doesn't say 'how old you are'. A person is only as young or old as they feel they are. I remember S&C show, so you have to be near in age to me... and I'm not old. I will even proudly say I'm celebrating another year of life this Saturday.

Shayla Kersten said...

Hiya, Cindy! I Got You Babe is one song with Sonny that I do like. The concert was fun because it was like being at the TV show live, with a dozen costume changes for Cher. Lots of fun.

Hi, Kelly! I have a lot of 80s music on my iTunes. Loved 80s music, hated the big hair! LOL

Hiya, NJ! I loved her hair too. I wished mine was long and straight and not the poofy mess it was then!

Okay, DJF! I'm 51. You happy. *cackle* But as my dear departed pappy used to say, you are only as old as you act. That means I'm 18 again! LOL Happy birthday early, darlin'! HUGS!

Thank you all for stopping by!