Saturday, February 6, 2010

Inconvenient Timing...

I hate it when ideas hit at just the wrong time--like in the shower, or a meeting at the day job. Or when I'm with my mother. She knows what I write. She's actually read some of my books. But I still don't want to reveal just how kinky my thought process is by brainstorming aloud!

A short story idea hit me while driving my mother to the eye doc the other day. *cackle* Since the story is a menage, I can't exactly use the voice recorder. Especially with the details funny pictures of cats with captionsthat kept flashing through my brain. And because we didn't want to be late to the appointment, I couldn't pull over and make notes. *headdesk*

I don't have the greatest memory anymore. I like to believe it's because I have so many fabulous ideas but I think getting older is the real culprit. So I'm driving along, running the ideas over and over in my head so I can remember them while trying to listen to my mother. ARGH!

We arrived at the eye doc and I whip out the mini-computer. Fingers flying, I'm writing a short synopsis, hitting the high points of my idea. Except we're seeing a new eye doc. Why? The one who will be doing Momma's cataract surgery. She has bunches of new paperwork to fill out. And she has cataracts. Duh! She can't read the paperwork. So I put away the computer to help her.

Oh, and she wants me in the exam room so I can listen to the doctor-speak. So no joy on getting the story idea down. But I had a little bit. By the time I got home, I didn 't have time to work on it. The next day, I had to work the evil day job. I tried to write some when I got home but after spending all day in front of a computer, I couldn't do more than 500 words. Ditto for the next couple of days.

So in the meantime, this story is dying to get out. At least the idea is sticking around in my airheaded brain! *cackle* Yesterday, I'm free from the day job. I headed to my favorite coffee shop and hallelujah, the story is still there! 3500 words later plus the 500 from Tuesday, I'm nearly a quarter of the way through the minimum length. Still not sure how long it will be.

After I got home, I managed to review and edit what I'd written. They were good words! YES! *pumps fist in the air* Sometimes words can flow like water only to find later that the words sucked. *cackle* I'm adding a little layering this morning. Details about the characters, the setting. Later, I'm headed back to the coffee shop. If I keep up the pace, I might have the bulk of the story done before I have to return to the day job on Monday!

Woo hoo! I love the smell of a new story! Especially one that's flowing so well!

9 comments:

Unknown said...

Why is it always in the shower? Or while driving? I hate that.

I used to have automatic recall. I had a photographic memory. I could look at something, take a snapshot in my mind, and remember the paragraphs, picture and page numbers. I would get ideas and just list them in my mental filing cabinet.

No anymore. I suppose learning to write everything down is great because the mind can always short circuit, but how inconvenient when you can't write or record!

Gale Stanley said...

I can relate, sigh... I carry a notebook and pen everywhere but can't always use them. All too often the ideas float away before I can get them down. Good for you for capturing that story!

Denise Golinowski said...

I finally got a voice recorder because the pen and notebook often didn't fit into my purse. Not to mention that I think way faster than I can write. My DH got me the voice recorder and I've been loving it. But as you pointed out, sometimes it's just not PC to be verbalizing that sex scene. *grin* Well, perhaps a personal code system might work? Well, the HE of your post is all that matters. Great job!

Rachel Lynne said...

Been there! Usually mine come in the middle of the night and I jump out of bed and work all night. Then I'm too bleary eyed to function all day!
Ah, a writer's life!!

Shayla Kersten said...

Hiya, KL! I really think the driving thing is because there's nothing else to do but think. But usually I'm alone, which is fine. I have my recorder. But with Momma? LOL That puts a kink in the issue! THanks for stopping by!

Shayla Kersten said...

Hiya, Gale! I didn't have a photographic memory but I had a good one. My boss could come to me and ask about something that happened seven or eight years before and I could rattle it off without thinking twice. Now...well, I'm glad for my computer filing system! LOL Thanks for stopping by!

Shayla Kersten said...

Hiya, Denise! I love my voice recorder! So easy to deal with when driving. I like listening to music while I drive so I'd put on a headset, plug the mike into the recorder, the speaker cable into my iPod. I could listen to music and record without the music in the background of the voice recorder!

Shayla Kersten said...

Hiya, Rach! I've done the middle of the night thing too. I usually just jot down notes since I don't do so well late at night. I really need another recorder for the bedside!

Unknown said...

You know J.K. Rawling had her Harry Potter idea while on a train and Twilight authore had hers come in a dream. I am starting to think that the best ideas ever are those that come to you while you are the least prepaired to receive them. However, they seem to be the most successful of all :) Looking forward to the new book.